is better than a cream puff? Chocolate cream puff, of course! And what is even better that a chocolate cream puff? Well, I’d say triple chocolate cream puffs, but – you’ll be the judge of that!
How to Make Triple Chocolate Cream Puffs?
To make triple chocolate cream puffs first I need to make chocolate choux pastry. Then, I will make milk chocolate ganache, and finally I will whip up delicious chocolate crème mousseline! Yum!
Chocolate Choux Pastry
If you have already made regular choux pastry, chocolate choux pastry will be a piece of cake, because the procedure is the same. The only difference is – one small part of flour is swapped with cocoa powder. Now, like I enriched my vanilla flavored cream puffs with crispy craquelin, I’ve decided to IMPROVE my chocolate choux pastry with – chocolate craquelin! Yummy! Anyway, I am going to pipe my choux in two sizes. Then I will fill my small choux with milk chocolate ganache, and the large one with chocolate crème mousseline!
Milk Chocolate Ganache
Milk chocolate ganache is so delicious and silky, that I’ve already used it to fill my Simple Coffee and Chocolate Macarons, Dacquoise Cake, Soft Caramel and Chocolate Ganache Tart, and as a component in my Almond and Double Chocolate Tarts! So, I have decided to fill my small choux with milk chocolate ganache, and put it in the center of my large choux! Yummy!
Chocolate Crème Mousseline
To make chocolate crème mousseline, first I will make crème pâtissière. When my pastry cream is done, I will add chopped chocolate and stir until it melts. Then, I will add softened butter into the cooled cream, and voilà – my chocolate crème mousseline is ready!
Triple Chocolate Cream Puffs Assembly
First I will make a hole in the bottom of my small choux. Then I will fill it with silky milk chocolate ganache. Then I will horizontally cut my large choux in two parts. I will fill the bottom with chocolate crème mousseline. Then I will insert my small choux in the middle, and pipe some more crème mousseline around the small choux until I cover it completely. I will cover everything with the top part of my large choux and decorate. So, let’s get busy and make these amazing triple chocolate cream puffs! Don’t forget that I have other delicious choux craquelin recipes – gluten free pistachio and raspberry choux craquelin and chocolate and hazelnut choux craquelin!
Triple Chocolate Cream Puffs (Choux Craquelin)
by:Tereza Alabanda,The Pastry MaestraPRINT PDF (EN) ISPIŠI PDF (HR)
Prep. time : 40 minutes
Cook time : 50 minutes
Ready in 90 minutes plus cooling
Level : Advanced
Chocolate Choux Pastry:
- Water 65g (2.3oz)
- Milk 65g (2.3oz)
- Salt 1g (a pinch)
- Sugar 5g (1Tsp)
- Butter 55g (2oz)
- All purpose flour 65g (2.3oz)
- Cocoa powder 10g (2Tsp)
- Eggs 125g (4.4oz)
- Butter 45g (1.6oz)
- Soft brown sugar 50g (1.8oz)
- All purpose flour 50g (1.8oz)
- Cocoa powder 5g (1Tsp)
- Milk chocolate 115g (4oz)
- Cream 35% 55g (2oz)
- Butter 30g (1oz)
- Milk 500g (17.6oz)
- Egg yolks 80g (2.8oz)
- Sugar 125g (4.4oz)
- All purpose flour 25g (0.9oz)
- Corn starch 25g (0.9oz)
- Vanilla powder to taste
- Dark chocolate 125g (4.4oz)
- Butter 250g (8.8oz)
- To make chocolate craquelin put softened butter into a bowl. Add brown sugar and stir well with a silicone spatula. Then add flour and sifted cocoa powder and stir well to combine. Put craquelin onto a sheet of parchment paper. Cover it with another sheet of parchment paper and flatten a bit with your hands. Then roll out the dough to about 2mm (5/64″) thickness. Place craquelin into a freezer until needed.
- To make chocolate choux pastry put the flour into a bowl. Add sifted cocoa powder and stir well with a whisk. Put water, milk, salt, sugar and butter into a saucepan and heat it up. When the mixture boils remove it from heat. Add flour and cocoa powder mixture and stir well with a silicone spatula. Put the pan back on the stove and cook, stirring constantly for about 2 minutes. Transfer the mixture into a bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment,and mix on low speed until it cools down a bit. Then gradually add eggs mixing well after each addition until you get smooth, glossy and pipeable mixture.
- Cut out frozen craquelin into 5cm (2″) in diameter discs. Then cut out smaller, about 2.5cm (1″) in diameter discs.
- Transfer the choux mixture into a piping bag fitted with round 8mm (3/8″) tip, and pipe balls about 5cm (2″) in diameter onto a baking tray lined with perforated silicone mat. Top each choux ball with large chocolate craquelin disc. Bake them at 200°C (400°F) for about 10 minutes. Then decrease the temperature to 180°C (350°F) and continue baking for about 20 minutes. Take them out and leave them to cool down.
- Now pipe small 2.5cm (1″) in diameter balls. Top each ball with smaller chocolate craquelin disc. Bake them at 200°C (400°F) for about 10 minutes. Then decrease the temperature to 180°C (350°F) and continue baking for about 10 minutes. Take them out and leave them to cool down.
- To make milk chocolate ganache melt your milk chocolate in the microwave on low heat, and gradually add warm cream. Stir with a whisk until you get uniform mixture. Then add softened butter and stir until it melts. Leave it at room temperature until it becomes pipeable.
- To make chocolate crème mousseline first you need to make crème pâtissière. Put the milk, vanilla powder, and half of sugar into a saucepan. Whisk the egg yolks with the rest of the sugar. Add sifted flour and cornstarch and whisk to combine. Temper the yolk mixture with approximately one half of the heated milk. Stir well and return the yolk mixture to the saucepan. Put it back on the stove and cook, stirring vigorously, until the cream boils and thickens. Allow pastry cream to boil for another 2 minutes stirring constantly so the starch cooks thoroughly. Remove the cream from the stove and immediately add chopped chocolate. Stir well until the chocolate melts and your cream becomes uniform. Transfer the cream into a bowl and cover it by placing plastic wrap onto the surface of the cream and leave it to cool down. Transfer the cooled cream into a stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment. Mix it on medium speed. Then add softened butter and continue mixing until it becomes uniform.
- Using a small pointy piping tip make a hole in the bottom of your small choux ball. Put the ganache into a piping bag fitted with small plain tip, and now fill the choux with the ganache.
- Cut off the top of the large choux ball. Put the chocolate creme mousseline into a piping bag fitted with large star tip and fill the bottom part of your large choux with it. Insert your small choux ball into the large one. Then pipe some more cream onto it. Top everything with the upper part of the large choux. Pipe a small rosette on top and decorate it with dark chocolate.
- There, your delicious triple chocolate cream puffs are done! Enjoy!
Well, what do you think about this post?
Please leave your comment on YouTube, thank you!
I read and really appreciate all the comments, even though I do not always have the time to respond to each one. So – keep me in the loop and try to create some sweetness every day because – Sweetness is happiness!!