adeleines [madlεn] are small, shell-shaped sponge cake pastries made of sugar, flour, and eggs, flavored with freshly grated lemon zest, and baked in special molds which give them those recognizable, familiar grooves. They gained global reputation when a French novelist, critic, and essayist, Marcel Proust, best known for his monumental novel “À la recherche du temps perdu” (In Search of Lost Time; earlier translated as Remembrance of Things Past), mentioned them in his novel.
He uses Madeleine to describe involuntary memory: when the main character takes a bite of this treat, the taste and the smell takes him back to his childhood. When making Madeleines, it is important to prepare the mold in advance. You should butter the indents carefully with melted butter, using a fine brush, and leave the mold upside down until butter sets. That way, all the excess butter will drip down, and your Madeleines will have beautiful shell shape all the way. When the butter sets, sprinkle the mold with some flour, and you are ready to bake!
by:Tereza Alabanda,The Pastry MaestraPRINT PDF (EN) ISPIŠI PDF (HR)
Prep. time : 15 minutes
Cook time : 15 minutes
Ready in 30 minutes
Level : BasicIngredients:
- Sugar 125g (4.4oz)
- Eggs 150g (5.3oz or 3 medium eggs)
- All purpose flour 125g (4.4oz)
- Baking powder 3g (1⁄2Tsp)
- Butter, melted 60g (2.1oz)
- Grated zest of one lemon
- Extra melted butter for molds
- Brush Madeleine molds with butter and turn them upside down to drip the excess butter. When the butter sets, brush the mold one more time. Sprinkle with flour and get rid of excess flour by tapping the mold on the table.
- Put eggs with sugar and lemon zest into a bowl of a stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment. Mix on medium speed until you get thick mixture. Fold in sifted flour wand baking powder with a silicone spatula. In the end, add melted butter.
- Put the batter into a piping bag without tip, and pipe into prepared mold.
- Bake Madeleines at 180ºC (350°F) for about 15 minutes, until they become golden around the edges.
- Unmold the madeleines immediately, and let them cool on the rack.
- Sprinkle with some powdered sugar and enjoy with a cup of your favorite tea.
Well, what do you think about this post?
Please leave your comment on YouTube, thank you!
I read and really appreciate all the comments, even though I do not always have the time to respond to each one. So – keep me in the loop and try to create some sweetness every day because – Sweetness is happiness!!