wo bites small, in most cases rectangular, in some cases oval cakes, perfect for snacking with a cup of tea, financiers are widely popular in France. The basic recipe calls for only 5 ingredients:
- Almond flour or almond meal which consists of very finely ground blanched almonds.
- Some regular all-purpose flour.
- Powdered sugar, sifted.
- Egg whites, and can you imagine this, you don’t need to whip them!
- Butter, melted or you can make beurre noisette, that will make financiers tastier and more fragrant.
To this you can add a berry in each financier, you can exchange part of flour for cocoa powder, or add some grated citrus zest and some chopped pistachios on the top. The easiest recipe ever! And soft, moist and tasty, too! If you don’t have one of these molds, you can also bake them in mini cupcake molds.
Originally made by the Visitandine order of nuns in the middle ages, the financier was popularized in the nineteenth century.The name financier is said to derive from the traditional rectangular mold, which resembles a bar of gold. According to another tradition, the cake became popular in the financial district of Paris surrounding the Paris stock exchange, as the cake could easily be stored in the pocket for long periods without being damaged, swalowed in one bite and did not stain the fingers – apparently, for brokers it was a big deal!
by:Tereza Alabanda,The Pastry MaestraPRINT PDF (EN) ISPIŠI PDF (HR)
Prep. time : 5 minutes
Cook time : 15 minutes
Ready in 20 minutes
Level : BasicIngredients:
- All purpose flour 50g (1.8oz)
- Almond flour 50g (1.8oz)
- Powdered sugar 100g (3.5oz)
- Butter 75g (2.6oz)
- Egg whites 120g (4.2oz)
- Vanilla powder to taste
- Salt – just a pinch
- Frozen or fresh raspberries as needed
- Mix sifted flour, almond flour, and sifted powdered sugar in a bowl.
- Add egg whites, melted butter, vanilla powder and salt to the mixture, and stir with a whisk.
- Pipe the batter into small, oval or rectangular molds, and into each financier put one raspberry.
- Bake them at 200ºC (400°F) for about 15 minutes until they become golden around the edges.
- Before serving, dust them with powdered sugar.
Well, what do you think about this post?
Please leave your comment on YouTube, thank you!
I read and really appreciate all the comments, even though I do not always have the time to respond to each one. So – keep me in the loop and try to create some sweetness every day because – Sweetness is happiness!!