air? Check! Nails? Check! Makeup? Check and check! Finally I’m ready to go! Oh, look – chouquettes! Mmmm…I’ll just have one! Darn! Now I have to do my lipstick again…but it was worth it!”
Remember my post about pâte à choux [pat a ʃu]? And all those little yummy snacks you can make? Well, there is another one, a bit neglected choux pastry treat – called chouquette [ʃuket], meaning little choux! Chouquettes are small dollops of choux pastry, sprinkled with pearl sugar before baking, which gives them lovely, sweet crunch.
In France, chouquettes are usually nibbled in the afternoon, but in any other part of the world, you can – and pardon my French – crunch and munch all day long! And happiness doesn’t stop there – you don’t even have to bake them yourself! Just walk in any pâtisserie, and right there, on the counter you will probably spot a heap of these little tidbits, just waiting for you to munch them from the paper sack.
However, if you can’t buy chouquettes in your neighborhood, do not despair, I have a great, easy-to-make-at-home recipe for you right here!
by:Tereza Alabanda,The Pastry MaestraPRINT PDF (EN) ISPIŠI PDF (HR)
Prep. time : 15 minutes
Cook time : 20 minutes
Ready in 35 minutes
Level : BasicIngredients:
- Water 125g (4.4oz)
- Milk 125g (4.4oz)
- Salt 2g (1⁄2Tsp)
- Sugar 12g (1Tbsp)
- Butter 100g (3.5oz)
- All purpose flour 150g (5.3oz)
- Eggs 250g (5 medium eggs)
- 1 Extra egg for egg wash
- Pearl sugar
- Put water, milk, butter, salt and sugar into a saucepan, and cook until it boils.
- Remove the pan from the stove and add the flour.
- Put everything back on the stove and cook, stirring constantly for about 2 minutes. Transfer the mixture into a clean bowl and leave it to cool.
- Beat the eggs and add them gradually to the paste mixing well after each addition. The finished dough should be soft, smooth and creamy.
- Pipe small balls onto a paper lined baking tray. Brush them with egg wash and sprinkle with pearl sugar.
- Bake chouquettes at 180°C (350°F) for about 20 minutes, until golden brown.
Well, what do you think about this post?
Please leave your comment on YouTube, thank you!
I read and really appreciate all the comments, even though I do not always have the time to respond to each one. So – keep me in the loop and try to create some sweetness every day because – Sweetness is happiness!!