ranita [ɡraˈniːta] is a frozen dessert that originated in Sicily, Italy. It is made of sugar, water and flavor of your choice – fruit juice, wine, coffee, etc. It is incredibly easy to make it, and once you taste it, you will realize what a refreshing and pleasant dessert it is!
In order to make this icy treat quickly, you will need a shallow dish that can fit into your freezer. Then, you should pick your flavor. I had a basket of lovely, fragrant oranges so the picture of orange granita just popped into my mind spontaneously, and in no time I was happily munching coarse, but soft and flavorful crystals of orange juice! Yummy! The secret is in the right amount of sugar that’s preventing the liquid from freezing into a solid block of ice. Sugar binds water and you will end up with a soft, grainy texture that wonderfully melts when the crystals meet your tongue.
So, all you need is to blend all the ingredients and pour the mixture into a shallow dish. I’ve put a few drops of violet essence inside, because I love the orange – violet combination, but this step is optional. Pop everything into a freezer and scrape with a fork every now and then to break the large crystals. And that’s it! Grab a spoon and dig in, I hope you’ll enjoy it as much as I did! Bon appétit!
Orange and Violet Granita Recipe
by:Tereza Alabanda,The Pastry MaestraPRINT PDF (EN) ISPIŠI PDF (HR)
Prep. time : 5 minutes
Cook time : 0 minutes
Ready in 5 minutes plus freezing
Level : BasicIngredients:
- Water 500g (2 cups)
- Sugar 160g (5.6oz)
- Orange juice 250g (1 cup)
- Zest of 2 oranges
- Violet essence – a few drops
- To make a dish out of half an orange cut the orange in half, and remove the pulp using grapefruit knife.
- Put water, sugar, orange juice, orange zest, and 1-2 drops of violet essence into a blender.
- Blend all the ingredients thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl, and put it in the freezer.
- Check granita after a couple of hours, and break the ice crystals with a fork.
- Serve granita in orange dish, and decorate it with some fresh violets.
Well, what do you think about this post?
Please leave your comment on YouTube, thank you!
I read and really appreciate all the comments, even though I do not always have the time to respond to each one. So – keep me in the loop and try to create some sweetness every day because – Sweetness is happiness!!