onuts are beloved breakfast treat that have been enjoyed for generations. However, traditional donuts are deep-fried and loaded with fat and sugar, that makes them a less-than-ideal breakfast option. But what if you could have all the deliciousness of a donut without the guilt? Enter baked donuts!
Baked donuts are a healthier alternative to traditional donuts that are just as tasty, but much better for you. They are made by baking a dough that is typically made with ingredients like flour, sugar, eggs, milk, yeast and butter. The result of baking this type of dough is a light and fluffy pastry that can be customized with a variety of fillings and flavors. If you, however insist on fried ones – I have a delicious krapfen recipe on my site, so take a look!
Here are some reasons why you might want to consider baking your donuts instead of frying them:
Healthier option: As mentioned earlier, traditional donuts are typically deep-fried, which means they are high in calories and unhealthy fats. Baked donuts, on the other hand, are a much healthier option. They contain less fat and fewer calories, which makes them a great choice for people who are trying to eat healthier.
Easy to make: Baked donuts are easy to make and require minimal equipment. All you need is a baking tray, some basic ingredients, and an oven. This means you can whip up a batch of donuts in no time and enjoy them fresh from the oven.
Customizable: Baked donuts are incredibly versatile and can be customized with a variety of flavors and fillings. From classic vanilla custard to chocolate ganache to savory options like bacon and cheese, there’s a baked donut recipe out there for everyone.
If you’re looking for a healthier alternative to traditional donuts, baked donuts are definitely worth a try. They’re easy to make, customizable, and just as delicious as their fried counterparts. So, why not give them a try and enjoy the classic taste of a donut without the guilt? Let’s bake some donuts!
by:Tereza Alabanda,The Pastry MaestraPRINT PDF (EN) ISPIŠI PDF (HR)
Prep. time : 40 minutes
Cook time : 15 minutes
Ready in 55 minutes plus proving
Level : Advanced
- All purpose flour 300g (10.6oz)
- Milk 125g (4.4oz)
- Fresh yeast 20g (2Tbsp)
- Sugar 30g (1oz)
- Salt 3g (1⁄2Tsp)
- Egg yolks 60g (2oz or 3 medium egg yolks)
- Butter 50g (1.8oz)
- Lemon zest
- Rum 10g (1Tbsp)
- Milk 300g (10.6oz)
- Egg yolks 60g (2.1oz or 3 medium egg yolks)
- Sugar 60g (2.1oz)
- Corn starch 20g (0.7oz)
- All purpose flour 15g (1⁄2oz)
- Vanilla powder
- Whipping cream 150g (5.3oz)
- Freeze dried strawberries
- Powdered sugar
- To make the dough have all your ingredients at room temperature. Dissolve the yeast in warm milk. Mix egg yolks with lemon zest and rum. Place sifted flour, sugar and salt into a bowl of a stand mixer fitted with hook attachment and start mixing on low speed. Add milk with yeast and the egg yolk mixture and continue mixing until you make a smooth dough. Add softened butter and knead it into your dough.
- Cover the dough and leave it to ferment until doubles in size. Portion the dough into 50g (1.8oz) pieces. Roll each piece into a ball, and place them onto a paper lined baking tray. Cover with a cloth until proved.
- Brush proved balls with egg wash and bake them at 180°C (350°F) for about 10-15 minutes, until golden.
- To make crème diplomate make crème pâtissière: Heat up the milk with the half of the sugar and vanilla powder, and whisk the egg yolks with the rest of the sugar until pale and thick. Add sifted corn starch and flour to egg yolk mixture and whisk to combine. Temper the egg yolk mixture with hot milk. Stir well and return everything to the pan. Cook the cream on medium heat while whisking vigorously until it thickens, and after it starts boiling, continue to cook for two more minutes. Remove it from the stove and transfer to a clean bowl. Leave it to cool down.
- Whisk the cooled crème pâtissière, and whip the cream to soft peaks. Fold in the cream into crème pâtissière. You have just made crème diplomate.
- Cut baked donuts in half. Pipe vanilla crème diplomate around the edges of the lower part of the donut. Pipe some strawberry jam in the middle. Sprinkle freeze dried strawberries onto the vanilla cream. Top with second part of the donut and dust with powdered sugar.
- There, your delicious baked donuts are done! Enjoy!
Well, what do you think about this post?
Please leave your comment on YouTube, thank you!
I read and really appreciate all the comments, even though I do not always have the time to respond to each one. So – keep me in the loop and try to create some sweetness every day because – Sweetness is happiness!!