lso called torrone and turrón, nougat is widely known and adored sweet treat. The most popular is one with almonds, but today I am making delicious pistachio and raspberry nougat!
Nougat is delicious, chewy candy bar made of sugar, honey, egg whites, roasted nuts and sometimes dried fruits. Turrón is made in Spain, nougat de Montélimar in France, torrone or mandorlato in Italy, and in Croatia we make mandulat.
Depending on the sugar and honey ratio, as well as the cooking time and temperature, nougat can be soft or firm. Since I already have a post on making soft almond nougat, this time I decided to make firm nougat. Also, besides roasted pistachios, I added some freeze-dried raspberries to balance the sweetness.
To make this yummy candy, make sure to prepare everything in advance – weigh all the ingredients, prepare the pan, roast your pistachios and keep them warm, have your candy thermometer ready and all the spatulas on hand. Once your syrup is done, you won’t have time to look for the pan, wafer paper or a spatula. You will need to work fast because your nougat will become denser as it cools down.
Once it is set, use sharp serrated knife to cut it into desired pieces. Nougat is an amazing edible gift, just wrap it in cellophane and decorate with some nice ribbon. Or – don’t share your nougat and nibble it for a couple of months! It keeps well if you wrap it and store in cool and dry place. Enjoy!
Pistachio and Raspberry Nougat
by:Tereza Alabanda,The Pastry MaestraPRINT PDF (EN) ISPIŠI PDF (HR)
Prep. time : 40 minutes
Cook time : 40 minutes
Ready in 80 minutes plus cooling
Level : Advanced
- Rice paper cut to 20cm x 20cm (8″ x 8″) 2 pieces
- Sugar 500g (17.6oz)
- Honey 250g (8.8oz)
- Egg whites 55g (2oz)
- Pistachios, roasted 300g (10.6)
- Freeze dried raspberries 30g (1oz)
- Line 20cm x 20cm (8″x8″) pan with parchment paper.
- Weigh all the ingredients. Roast pistachios at 180°C (350°F) for about 10 minutes, and leave them in warm place.
- Place one piece of wafer paper cut to size on the bottom of the pan.
- Place egg whites into a bowl of a stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment, and put honey into a large saucepan. Add sugar and water into the saucepan, stir well with a silicone spatula and start cooking the syrup.
- When the syrup boils, insert the probe of a digital candy thermometer into the mixture and continue cooking.
- When the syrup reaches 140°C (285°F) start mixing egg whites on medium speed.
- When the syrup reaches 155°C (310°F), turn off the heat and pour the syrup slowly and carefully into whipped egg whites. Continue whisking the mixture for a couple of minutes.
- Replace the whisk with paddle attachment. Add toasted warm pistachios and freeze dried raspberries into the nougat and mix on low speed for a couple of seconds, until incorporated.
- Then, transfer the mixture into the prepared mold while it is still hot. Distribute the mixture using your silicone spatula. Place another piece of wafer paper on top of the nougat, cover it with parchment paper and place a piece of cardboard cut to size on the top. Press the cardboard with your palm to distribute the nougat evenly, and leave everything to set overnight.
- Cut nougat into bars using serrated knife.
- There, your delicious pistachio and raspberry nougat is done! Enjoy!
Well, what do you think about this post?
Please leave your comment on YouTube, thank you!
I read and really appreciate all the comments, even though I do not always have the time to respond to each one. So – keep me in the loop and try to create some sweetness every day because – Sweetness is happiness!!