s we’ve already learned in the post about toffee, buttercrunch is a candy very similar to toffee. Similar I say, not the same! However, lots of people, while talking about a hard, crunchy candy made of sugar and butter use both of those terms interchangeably.
Now, butercrunch and toffee do have one thing in common and that is – the temperature of cooking! It has to be 145°C (293°F) precisely, so make sure that you have a good candy thermometer at hand! No improvisation on this one! When making any type of candy, it is very important to follow the recipe to the letter, and to cook the candy to the exact temperature. If the temperature isn’t high enough, the candy will be softer than it should be. On the other hand, if you overcook the candy, it will be too hard. Even worse – if you let the temperature rise out of control – you will burn the sugar! So, be careful and follow the instructions! To master all the tricks of cooking sugar to a specific stage, take a look at my post about .
Let’s clarify the naming issue. Toffe is made of butter and sugar. Unlike toffee, buttercrunch (apart from butter and sugar) is always coated with chocolate and topped with various nuts. So, buttercrunch is actually toffee covered with chocolate and topped with nuts! However, lots of people call toffee buttercrunch and vice versa. The most popular is almond or pecan buttercrunch, but you can use hazelnuts, walnuts, macadamia nuts or cashews.
Now about my recipe. Read the recipe thoroughly before you start making your buttercrunch, and prepare everything in advance. I like to temper my chocolate before coating the buttercrunch, and if you want to do it too, take a look at my post about . If you are going to temper the chocolate, make sure that the buttercrunch is completely cold before you spread the chocolate. If you for some reason don’t want to temper your chocolate, you don’t have to! Just sprinkle chopped chocolate over the buttercrunch while it is still hot. The heat will melt the chocolate – you can spread it with offset spatula and top with nuts immediately.
How to Make Buttercrunch
- Have all your ingredients measured and equipment ready.
- Cook butter, sugar, water and salt in a saucepan.
- When the mixture boils, add glucose syrup or corn syrup.
- Continue cooking until the mixture reaches 145°C (293°F).
- Remove the pan from the stove, and add vanilla or other flavorings.
- Pour the mixture onto a silicone mat or parchment paper. Spread it quickly with offset spatula.
- Leave it to cool down completely.
- Gently wipe the surface with a paper towel to remove any excess fat.
- Coat one side of the buttercrunch with chocolate and top it with nuts immediately .
- When the chocolate sets, turn the buttercrunch, and repeat the process.
- When your buttercrunch cools down completely, cut it into desired sized pieces and store in well sealed container.
Well, what do you think about this post?
I read and really appreciate all the comments, even though I do not always have the time to respond to each one. So – keep me in the loop and try to create some sweetness every day because – Sweetness is happiness!!