utterscotch is a hard candy similar to toffee and buttercrunch, except that, instead of regular white sugar, it is always made of brown sugar and butter, with the addition of glucose syrup, vanilla and other flavorings.
So, we have toffee which is made of white sugar and butter, buttercrunch that is made of sugar, butter, chocolate and nuts, and butterscotch that is made of brown sugar and butter.
Buttercrunch is toffee covered with chocolate and topped with nuts.
Butterscotch is toffee made of brown sugar.
There is a theory about the origin of the name “butterscotch”. The food historians agree that the word doesn’t have anything to do with Scotland. The word “scotch” means to cut or to score, as butterscotch has to be handled – scotched into pieces.
Butterscotch is a term also used to describe brown sugar and butter flavor without referring to the candy, so there is butterscotch sauce, butterscotch pudding or butterscotch pie.
How to Make Butterscotch
- Have all your ingredients measured and equipment ready.
- Put your lollipop mold on a baking tray, and insert a lollipop stick into the each circle of the silicone mold.
- Cook butter, brown sugar, water and salt in a saucepan.
- When the mixture boils, add glucose syrup or corn syrup.
- Continue cooking until the mixture reaches 145°C (293°F).
- Remove the pan from the stove and add vanilla or other flavorings.
- Wait until the mixture stops boiling, and then pour into the prepared lollipop molds carefully. You can use a spoon to do that.
- When your lollipops cool completely, wrap each lollipop in a cellophane wrap.
Well, what do you think about this post?
I read and really appreciate all the comments, even though I do not always have the time to respond to each one. So – keep me in the loop and try to create some sweetness every day because – Sweetness is happiness!!